Friday, September 24, 2010

Jeju-do, Day 1

I got a week off for Chuseok, the Korean Thanksgiving/harvest festival, and I decided I had to go somewhere exciting.  Since practically every Korean has recommended that I check out this island of the southern tip of South Korea, I booked my ticket and coerced people into joining me on my adventure! 

My plane left Gimpo Airport at 7 AM on Friday morning.  The subway, however, doesn't open until 5:30 AM and, with the airport over an hour away, I thought that might be cutting it a bit close. So at 4:30 AM Marina (Germany) and I took a taxi to Seoul Station, from which we took an airport shuttle bus. We got to the airport early enough that I had a nice 30 minute nap before boarding.

Jeju-do is my happy place.  I'm in love with the island.  Walking out of the airport, I saw palm trees and felt the heat. 

The airport is in Jeju-si, in the north of the island.  Our first night was to be spent in Seogwipo, in the South, so we had to take airport limousine bus #600 for two hours around the western coast of the isle. I slept.

Click on this picture to get an idea of where we traveled and stayed on Jeju-do!

Checked into the Jeju Hiking Inn, a great place to stay.  We had ocean views, free international phone calls, and comfortable beds at a prime location in the center of Seogwipo. From there, Marina and I went to Jungmun Beach for some relaxing on the sands.

Jungmun Resort area in the background

돌 하르방 (stone grandfather) made from volcanic rock

Jungmun Beach, where I sunbathed and swam!
By the time we were suntanned and waterlogged, the rest of our traveling group was just arriving.  My traveling group included:
Seungmin and Sejin (two Korea University buddies)
2 exchange students from China
Gerchie and Max (Vroni's friends from Austria)
Marina (Germany)
Philip (Denmark)

Upon meeting up we walked to Jeongbang Waterfall, the only waterfall in South Korea that falls directly into the ocean.  We were there as the sun was dipping low, making the light lovely on the falls.  Despite being such a well-known place, we were practically the only people there.  I walked off the path and down the rocks to stand at the base of the waterfall, where the spray drenched and deafened me.  I felt so small. 



 We had dinner at a traditional Korean restaurant that looked out over the harbor. We sat on the floor and tried two of Jeju's specialties - black-skinned pig and fish! And I was convinced to eat a very special delicacy....... FISH HEAD!  Yes, I ate a whole fish head - jaw, eye, and all. Yes, the eye popped in my mouth.  But, surprisingly, the cheek meat was quite good!

Sitting on the floor, BBQing our black-skinned pig.

Dinner is served!  They split the fish down the middle along the spine.

Hey, I'm eating a fish head!

No comments:

Post a Comment