Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gyeongbokgung

Chuseok (Korean harvest festival comparable to Thanksgiving in the United States) was on Wednesday, September 22 this year.  I wasn't fortunate enough to experience a true Korean Chuseok (a friend and I went to dinner at the only restaurant we could find open - a fried chicken place!), but I wanted to visit a very Korean place in order to keep in the Korean holiday spirit.

Gyeongbokgung (or Gyeongbok Palace) was the main and largest palace build by the Joseon Dynasty.  Translated into English, it is called "The Palace Blessed by Heaven."  To celebrate Chuseok, Gyeongbokgung hosted some traditional Korean games and discounts to those wearing traditional Korean clothing. Susanna and I paid 3,000 won for entrance and hung around for a few hours - and it was definitely worth it!  Everything had a very Korean feel to it, and the day was beautiful!

Hanging out a palace, though, caused a slight identity crisis - I definitely think I'm a princess! 

There are always mountains
watching over you in Seoul.
Susanna and me
I'm playing some traditional Korean game - trying to get the silly arrow into those tiny cups!


changing of the guards ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment